Friday, April 19, 2013

Highlights from Day 1 of Mid West Music Fest 2013


I got a pretty late start on Thursday night. My partner called at 8 PM to let me know she was trying to get out of work early so I could catch  a bit of Kendl Winter, Jaybone Bell & Restless Light and Wake Up Bedhead. Unfortunately, her relief never showed, so it was 10:30 PM before I got out of the house.
Still a pretty great night – some highlights:
• Retribution Gospel Choir – I must say that after a couple You Tube views I wasn’t that sold on RGC, but after reading the article about them being the best live act in Minneapolis it was time to reconsider my initial opinion. Wow, these guys rock, nothing like LOW - Alan Sparhawk simply shreds on guitar in RGC! I also loved the rhythm section, the drummer playing a lot of the ride symbol (I hope I have this right drummers) – it is the big symbol with a lower bell type sound - kind of heavy, rock-n-roll sound. I’m definitely a convert.
 
• Watching David Echelard  front and center at Paulie Matushek’s set at Broken World Records. Paulie is a veteran of the La Crosse music scene and he has a standing gig at the Popcorn Tavern. He is a one-man band with looping pedals, so it is really interesting to see him set up songs by setting down his grooves with several different instruments and then essentially jamming with himself. For those that don’t know of Echelard, he is the master of music as old as these hills (he sings and plays the hurdy gurdy), it was fun to wonder what was going through his mind while watching this very modern take on one-man rock band music.
• Not being able to get into Ed’s No Name. This place is an anchor of the local music scene and as much as I was first a bit bummed about not being able to get through the door, in retrospect it made me happy about what is building here. We are fortunate to get the chance to see Charlie Parr a lot, and also to sit at Ed’s pub and see live music on a regular basis, so it was great to see other folks mobbing the place.
• Broken World Records. One of the newer live music spots in town, I have really enjoyed going to this place. They had Paulie in the front room and General B & the Whiz in the awesome back room. I know these guys have played here several times, but I don’t get out enough. General B is like some funk-a –fied Sonny Bono with 70s era ‘stache and hair. They sounded great. Also great to see quite a few other folks at Broken World Records – the MWMF crew did a great job it seems in organizing times and venues so that crowds seemed to be everywhere.  
• MWMF organizers. Really fun to see Sam Brown, Frank Hessler, Adam Wiltgen, and Alex Stevens moving, grooving, and enjoying themselves at several venues. They have put in countless hours over the past year to bring this blissful three days of music our way. Bravo!
• Charlie Parr owns this town. I posted it on FB last night and I stand by it. Fortunately, the crowd cleared enough later in the night and I was able to duck in and see Charlie. He always brings it and when the crowd is really heated and jiving and sweaty, Charlie brings it all the more - such a blistering “Rattlesnake” I thought the whole bar was going to levitate. Joe Thady gives me a hug and it’s like he just stepped out of some hot yoga session, just dripping with sweat. Charlie quipped at a recent show in Winona that he has thought about moving to Winona (his wife is actually originally from Winona) – well Mr. Parr, if you were serious I am sure we could get together a collection pretty quick to cover your moving expenses. Check out a video of "Rattlesnake" below.

No comments:

Post a Comment